Friday, July 22, 2011

4th of July in Alabama "Down on the Farm"

Rejoice with your family in the beautiful land of life! ~Albert Einstein

Forest Church
Enjoying some farm-fresh food down on the Farm

All of the extended Chandos and Mark's Melissa traveled a little over 3 hours south to spend some quality time down on the farm together. This old farm house on Robin Road in Ethelsville, Alabama belonged to my great-grandmother and grandfather Johnson from the late 1800s and is part of my earliest memories. I remember when it was a working farm and there were chickens in the yard and horses and cows in the barn. In more recent years my parents spend the summer here and plant a big garden to eat and share with family and friends. Forest United Methodist Church is where my parents married and most of my relatives are buried in this church yard. It was little Preston Field's first trip to the farm and we all wanted to show him off in church!

One of the fringe benefits of a trip to the "Farm" is the fresh vegetables we bring back home with us. Carl and I put up green beans and made homemade salsa with the tomatoes and hot peppers we brought back.

No comments:

Post a Comment